The YMCA is a community based charity that delivers programs and services to help build strong people, strong families and strong communities from over 500 YMCA centres across Australia.
Since 1882, the YMCA has delivered a wide range of services to the Tasmanian community, including sport, recreation, health & fitness, youth services, camping and community services.
The YMCA of Hobart Inc is an Association with programs and activities throughout Southern Tasmania. As well as our headquarters at Constance Avenue, Glenorchy, YMCA of Hobart also manages the Clarence Aquatic Centre YMCA which provide further opportunities for the community.
As a trusted Tasmanian not-for-profit, YMCA of Hobart focuses its efforts on improving access to programs and services, for people and families experiencing difficulty or disadvantage, to grow in body, mind and spirit. The organisation is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors and managed by a dedicated staff team. We work collaboratively with government and other non-profit groups and partners to provide the best possible outcome for our community.
“We are making a positive difference to humanity by providing each and every person an opportunity to be healthy, happy and connected”.
The YMCAs of Australia work together from a base of Christian values to provide opportunities for all people to grow in body, mind and spirit.
We are making a positive difference by providing opportunity to each and every person to be healthy, happy and connected.
The YMCAs of Australia are also guided by their agreed Strategic Directions, agreed by the Movement at its 2013 Annual General Meeting. YMCA Vision Brochure
The YMCAs of Australia are guided to achieve their Mission by the following Christian values. We value:
- The whole person, consisting of a body, a mind and a spirit each of which is of equal importance.
- The dignity and intrinsic worth of all people regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, belief or other difference.
- Diversity of people, communities and nations.
- Equality of opportunity and justice for all people.
- Healthy communities based on relationships between people which are characterised by love, understanding and mutual respect.
- Acceptance of personal responsibility.
The YMCA of Hobart Inc is recognised by the Australian Childhood Foundation in Achieving Safeguarding Children Program Accreditation.