The YMCA of Hobart Inc is recognised by the Australian Childhood Foundation in Achieving Safeguarding Children Program Accreditation.
Our Organisational Policy
YMCA of Hobart recognises that all children and young people have the right to develop and reach their potential in environments that are caring, nurturing and safe. We consider any form of child/young person abuse, inclusive of emotional, physical, sexual abuse or neglect, as intolerable under any circumstances. Our organisation has a legal, moral and mission-driven responsibility to protect children and young people from harm and to ensure that any incidents of suspected child abuse are promptly and appropriately dealt with.
YMCA of Hobart Programs
Thousands of children and young people take part in programs at YMCA Hobart facilities each year at our centres at Glenorchy, Clarence and Rosny. Our primary goal is to keep children SAFE when they are in our facilities and/or participating in a YMCA program.
Organisations or groups which hire or use YMCA Hobart facilities to provide programs and services to children and young people, are required to:
- Ensure that all staff and volunteers have a valid working with children check
- Agree to comply with Hobart YMCA Safeguarding Children and Young People policies or have equivalent policies in place.
YMCA of Hobart Staff
- All of our staff must maintain a valid National Criminal History Check and a Working with Children check
- Our staff follow a Code of Conduct which provide guidelines for staff behaviour when working with children and young people.
- All of our staff who work with children and young epople complete a safeguarding children course within 3 months of being employed with us.
Read more about these policies and procedures on this page
YMCA of Hobart commitment to Safeguarding Children and Young People
YMCA National Safeguarding Children and Young People policy
Information from the Royal Commission on Creating Child Safe Institutions
Information on “What to look for when choosing a child safe organisation”
Information on Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse and/or Neglect